Thursday, January 22, 2009

Georgia Tech visit

I had the pleasure of visiting Georgia Tech Wednesday, giving a theory seminar, in this case my survey talk on Deletion Channels.

A fun day filled with conversations about research, kids, and other goings-on. Highlights include getting to catch up with my academic older sister Dana Randall and younger brother Eric Vigoda. And this trip, as it seems with every trip I've taken to Georgia Tech, my host Vijay Vazirani exceeded expectations with his choice of dinner location. (And by now, I have high expectations for meals in Atlanta!)

The department has really grown into a theory powerhouse (and has a very strong networking group as well). For some time it's been on my list of schools undergraduates should think about for graduate school (but might not have realized they should be thinking about). The visit was a strong reminder of why.

3 comments:

Traveller said...

Do you also have a survey on deletion channels?

Michael Mitzenmacher said...

Traveller -- Thanks; I had the survey up on my TALKS page with the talk slides, but had forgotten to put it up on my papers page. Anyhow, you can find the survey (submitted)
on my paper page

www.eecs.harvard.edu/~michaelm/ListByYear.html

or my talks page

http://www.eecs.harvard.edu/~michaelm/Talks.html

Anonymous said...

Georgia Tech is also getting very good in Machine Learning.